Wednesday 5 September 2012

What happens in TJ, stays in TJ

When I was young. Younger. I decided it would be a good idea to go to Tijuana all by myself and do some volunteering with Travel to Teach - you paid them some money and they provided accommodation, activities and work. Myself, a Dutch girl and three American girls slept in the gardens of a famous cafe type place. The little hut type places did not even have locks on the door. How scary is that? I don't remember feeling scared one bit. I must have been mad.

The company stopped accepting volunteers for their Tijuana programme very shortly after I left. It just got too dangerous. Nowadays every time I hear a story about random shootings in the supermarket and headless bodies by the side of the road I shudder. I can't believe we went out AT NIGHT! Even just thinking about going to Mexico scares me now, let alone going to hang out on the Mexico-US border! Going to rap-offs in abandoned cinemas and accidentally getting the wrong bus and ending up in some random shanty type settlement. Alone. Could I ever do something like this again? Most definitely not.





 The statue of Tia Juana amongst a pile of overgrown rubble



Agua Caliente Racetrack, Tijuana (They had bears in tiny cages outside with big brown sad eyes)


No comments:

Post a Comment